Home > The Depths (Introduction) > Soul|
I have organized our in-depth study
material around the two great commandments: “You shall love the Lord your
God with all your
, and with all your soul, and with all your mind,
and with all your strength,” and “You shall love your neighbor as
yourself” (Mark 12:30-31). This provides a balance between your head and
your heart, between doing and being. Watch for this area to grow.
NOTE: Blue links provide for on-line reading. Orange links help you make a purchase, usually at a great discount.
Love God with All Your Soul:
Christology: Jesus the Christ
- Books on Sytematic Theology
- Stanley J. Grenz Theology for the Community of God (1999)
- Baker's Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology (1996)
- James Arminius (1560-1609) Complete Works
- Louis Berkhof Summary of Christian Doctrine (1932, rev. 1938)
- Loraine Boettner The Trinity | Inspiration of the Scriptures | Total Depravity | The Atonement | Salvation by Grace
- James P. Boyce Abstract of Systematic Theology (1887)
- John Calvin Institutes of the Christian Religion (orig. Latin, 1536; Eng. transl. 1599)
- A. A. Hodge Commentary on Westminster Confession of Faith (1869)
- W. N. Clarke
Outline of Christian Theology (1899)
- Charles Hodge Systematic Theology: Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3 | Index (1871)
- Martin Luther Table Talk (Eng. transl., 1646)
- James Orr, et al. The Fundamentals: Introduction | Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3 | Vol. 4 (1917)
- Philip Schaff Theological Propaedeutic: Introduction to Study of Theology (1893)
- Augustus H. Strong Systematic Theology: 1. Prolegomena | 2. The Existence of God | 3. The Scriptures: Revelation from God | 4. The Nature, Decrees, & Works of God Part 1 (Attributes of God, Trinity, Decrees) Part 2 (Creation, Preservation, Providence, Good & Evil Angels) | 5. Anthropology: The Doctrine of Man | 6. Soteriology: The Doctrine of Salvation through Christ & the Holy Spirit Part 1 (Christology) Part 2 (Reconciliation) | 7. Ecclesiology: The Doctrine of the Church | 8. Eschatology: The Doctrine of Final Things
- Benjamin B. Warfield Selected Essays
- Richard Watson Theological Institutes (1851) [TOP]
- Areas of study
- Theology: The Godhead
- Millard J. Erickson Making Sense of the Trinity: Three Crucial Questions (2000)
- Arthur W. Pink The Attributes of God (rerprint: 2006)
- Warren Myers & Ruth Myers Experiencing God's Attributes (2003)
- J. Rendel Harris Origin of the Doctrine of the Trinity (1919)
- W. N. Clarke The Christian Doctrine of God (1909)
- G. S. Faber, Doctrine of the Trinity Vol. 1: Teaching of the Apostles | Vol. 2: Objections Considered (1832) [TOP]
- Bibliology: The Holy Scriptures
- Credibility of its Miracles
Deity of Christ
Humanity of Christ (Incarnation)
Walter C. Kaiser Jr. The Messiah in the Old Testament (1995)
Michael L. Brown Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus: Vol. 3 – Messianic Prophecy (2003)
E. W. Hengstenberg Christology of the OT & Commentary on the Messianic Predictions (1868) Vol. 1 | Vol. 2
Edward K. A. Riehm Messianic Prophecy: Its Origin, Historical Growth, and Relation to New Testament Fulfillment (1891)
F. Delitzsch Messianic Prophecies (1880)
P. J. Gloag The Messianic Prophecies (The Baird Lecture for 1879)
Conception & Birth
Sermon on the Mount
The Agrapha (Possible sayings of Jesus not found in the canonical accounts of the Gospel)
Pneumatology: The Holy Spirit
For online reading:
Attributes of the Spirit
Glossalalia (Speaking in Tongues)
Gifts of the Spirit
Discerning one's spiritual gift(s)
The Fruit of the Spirit
Anthropology: The Human Identity
- For purchase:
Ecclesiology: The Community of the Redeemed
- Herman Hoeksema Knowing God and Man (2006) Calvinist perspective
- Linleigh Roberts Let Us Make Man (1988)
- John Laidlaw The Bible Doctrine of Man (1879)
- Julius Müller, The Christian Doctrine of Sin Vol. 1: The Existence of Evil | Vol. 2: The Possibility of Sin & The Diffusion of Sin (1853)
- Steve Singleton "True Guilt or Guilt Feelings? What is Your Spiritual Diagnosis? What's the Remedy?" [TOP]
Nature of Christian Worship
Satan & Demonology: The Unswerving Enemy of the Saints
- Nature of God's Church
Eschatology: The Consummation of History
- Merrill F. Unger Biblical Demonology: A Study of Spiritual Forces at Work Today (1995) A thorough and reverent examination of the passages of the Old and New Testaments, shedding light upon the invisible spiritual forces at work today.
- Erwin W. Lutzer The Serpent of Paradise: The Incredible Story of How Satan's Rebellion Serves God's Purposes (1996) Lutzer contends that we cannot properly understand Satan unless we first understand God. When we stand in awe of God, we will find it unnecessary to stand in awe of Satan.
- Anonymous The Satan of Scripture (1876).
Different Schools of Eschatological Interpretation
- General works on eschatology
- Surveys of the different schools
Post-Trib: Historical Premillennialism (Chiliasm)
The Intermediate State
- Pre-Trib: Dispensational Premillennialism
Eternal Life (Heaven)
Eternal Death (Hell)
- James Stratten The Intermediate State and Other Discourses (1867) Believes (wrongly I think) that the OT righteous dead were in a state of blassedness though still separated from full fellowship with God, a "veil" removed by Christ's sacrifice. I believe the state of bliss is the same for the righteous dead of all ages, since all are there due to the once-for-all sacrifice of Christ.
Eternal Conscious Torment
- Survey of interpretations
- Sacramental theology
- Books recommended for purchase:
Recommended for online reading:
- J. H. Armstrong, P. E. Engle, & R. D. Moore, eds. Understanding Four Views on the Lord's Supper (2007). The four views are: Memorialism (Baptist) - R. D. Moore, Spiritual Presence (Reformed) - J. Hesselink, Consubstantiation (Lutheran) - D. P. Scaer, and Transubstantiation (Catholic) - T. A. Baima. Each critiques the other's statement of his view.
- Gordon T. Smith, ed. The Lord's Supper: Five Views (2008). The five views are: Roman Catholic - J. Gross, Lutheran - J. R. Stephenson, Reformed - L. Van Dyk, Baptist - R. E. Olson, and Pentecostal - V.-M. Kärkkainen. Each critiques the other's statement of his view.
- P. E. Engle and J. H. Armstrong, eds. Understanding Four Views on Baptism (2007). The four views are: Baptist - T. J. Nettles, Reformed - R. L. Pratt Jr., Lutheran - R. Kolb, and Christian Churches/Churches of Christ - J. D. Castelein. Each critiques the other's statement of his view.
- Everett Ferguson Baptism in the Early Church: History, Theology, and Liturgy in the First Five Centuries (2008). Highly recommended comprehensive survey by this leading expert in early Christianity.
- Timothy F. Lull, ed. Martin Luther's Basic Theological Writings (2nd ed., book & CD-ROM, 2004).
- C. E. Braaten Principles of Lutheran Theology (2nd ed., 2007).
- Hans J. Iwand The Righeousness of Faith According to Luther (2008).
- Description of:
- Laurence M. Vance The Other Side of Calvinism (Rev. ed., 1999)
- Dave Hunt and James White Debating Calvinism: Five Points, Two Views (2004)
- J. M. Pinson, ed. Four Views on Eternal Security (2002) The four views are: classical Calvinism - M. S. Horton, Moderate Calvinism - N. L. Geisler, Reformed Arminianism - S. M. Ashby, & Wesleyan Arminianism - J. S. Harper. Each critiques the other's statement of his view.
- M. Dieter, A. Hoekema, & S. M. Horton, eds. Five Views on Sanctification (1987) The five views are: Wesleyan - M. E. Dieter, Reformed - A. A. Hoekema, Pentecostal - S. M. Horton, Keswick - J. R. McQuilkin, and Augustinian-Dispensational - J. F. Walvoord. Each critiques the other's statement of his view.
- George Bryson The Five Points of Calvinism: Weighed and Found Wanting (2006)
- Dave Hunt What Love is This? Calvinism's Misrepresentation of God (27 hours of mp3s, 2006)
- F. F. Kearley "The Biblical Doctrine of Predestination, Foreordination, and Election"
- Calvinism Refuted | Total Hereditary Depravity (Inherited Sin) | Unconditional Election (Predestination) | Limited Atonement (Christ didn't die for all mankind) | Irresistible Grace (feelings you are saved) | Perseverance of the Saints (Once saved always saved) |
- Description of:
- Bernhard Weiss Biblical Theology of the New Testament: Vol. 1 | Vol. 2
- Geerhardús Vos Biblical Theology: Old & New Testaments (1994) [TOP]
[Depths Index] [The
on to Study Links]
©2011 DeeperStudy.com, All