We have organized our in-depth study
material around the two great commandments: “You shall love the Lord your
God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind,
and with all your strength,” and “You shall love your neighbor as
yourself” (Mark 12:30-31). This provides a balance between your head and
your heart, between doing and being. Watch for this area to grow and grow.
NOTE: Red links take you to a site for
on-line reading. Orange links take you to
Amazon.com for purchase of the book cited.
- “Love God with all your mind”: Bible Study and
- Bible Study
- Interpretation principles for Bible Study
- Approaches to Bible study
- Introduction to the Bible
- Berkhof, Louis New Testament Introduction (1915)
- Aids to Bible study
- Online commentaries by biblical book & chapter
- Online commentaries by commentary author
- Index of apologetics studies
- Readings from apologetics classics
- For a history of apologetics, see Avery Dulles, History of Apologetics
- For an anthology of apologetics readings, see Classical Readings in Christian Apologetics, A.D.
100–1800 by L. Russ Bush
- Ancient period
- Justin Martyr (ca. 100-ca. 167) – First Apology ch.
1 | ch.
2 | ch.
5 | ch.
6 | ch.
9 | ch.
10 | ch.
11 | ch.
12 | ch.
13 | ch.
18 | ch.
19 | ch.
20 | ch.
21 | ch.
22 | ch.
23 | ch.
24 | ch.
25 | ch.
26 | ch.
28 | ch.
30 | ch.
31 | ch.
32 | ch.
33 | ch.
34 | ch.
35 | ch.
36 | ch.
37 | ch.
38 | ch.
39 | ch.
43 | ch.
44 | ch.
46 | ch.
52 | ch.
53 | ch.
54 | ch.
- Athenagoras (2nd Century) – A
Plea for Christians
- Irenaeus (120-203) – Against Heresies bk.
2 | bk.
- Tertullian (160-230) – The Apology ch.
10 | ch.
17 | ch.
18 | ch.
19 | ch.
20 | ch.
- Origen (185-253) – On
First Principles (Preface) | Against
Celsus – bk. 2, ch. 48 | bk.
2, ch. 49-50 | bk.
2, ch. 51 | bk.
2, ch. 52 | bk.
2, ch. 53 | bk.
2, ch. 54 | bk.
2, ch. 55 | bk.
2, ch. 56 | bk.
2, ch. 57 | bk.
2, ch. 58 | bk.
2, ch. 59 | bk.
2, ch. 60 | bk.
2, ch. 61 | bk.
2, ch. 62 | bk.
2, ch. 63 | bk.
2, ch. 64 | bk.
2, ch. 65 | bk.
2, ch. 66 | bk.
2, ch. 67 | bk.
3, ch. 1 | bk.
3, ch. 2 | bk.
3, ch. 3 | bk.
4, ch. 14 | bk.
24 ch. 15 | bk.
4, ch. 16 | bk.
4, ch. 17 | bk.
4, ch. 18 | bk.
6, ch. 78 | bk.
6, ch. 79 | bk.
7, ch. 53 | bk.
7, ch. 54 | bk.
7, ch. 55 | bk.
7, ch. 56 | bk.
7, ch. 57 | bk.
8, ch. 72 | bk.
8, ch. 76
- Athanasius (298-373) – Against the Heathen pt.
1, ch. 1 | pt.
3, ch. 35 | pt.
3, ch. 38 | pt.
3, ch. 39 | pt.
3, ch. 40 | pt.
3, ch. 45 | pt.
3, ch. 46 | pt.
3, ch. 47 | On the Incarnation of the Word ch.
1-5 | ch.
21-25 | ch.
26 | ch.
30-32 | ch.
33-40 | ch.
41-45 | ch.
46-55 | ch.
- Augustine of Hippo (354-430) – Concerning
the Freedom of the Will (summary
only) | Confessions bk.
11, ch. 3-12 | The City of God bk. 1, preface –
ch. 2 | bk.
1, ch. 6-11 | bk.
1, ch. 14 | bk.
1, ch. 28-30 | bk.
1, ch. 33-35
- Medieval period
- Anselm of Canterbury (1033-1109) – Monologium | Proslogium | | In
Behalf of the Fool | In
Reply to Gaunilon
- Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274) – The Summa Contra
1, ch. 3-4 | bk.
1, ch. 6-13 | The Summa Theologiae 1st
part, Q. 2 | 1st
part, Q. 2, articles 1ן
- Modern period
- John Calvin (1509-1564) – Institutes of the Christian
Religion | bk.
1, ch. 1 | bk.
1, ch. 2 | bk.
1, ch. 3 | bk.
1, ch. 5 | bk.
1, ch. 6 | bk.
1, ch. 7 | bk.
1, ch. 8
- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662) – Pensées
- Joseph Butler (1692-1752) – The
Analogy of Religion – online version | The Analogy of Religion
- William Paley (1743-1805) – Natural
Theology – on-line version | Natural Theology | A View of the
Evidences of Christianity
- K. H. Sack – Christian Apologetics (1829)
- W. H. Hetherington – Apologetics of the Christian
- G. H. Wright – Logic of Christian Evidence (1884)
- J. H. A. Ebrard – Apologetics, or The Scientific
Vindication of Christianity (1886-87)
- L. F. Stearns – The Evidence of Christian
- P. Schanz – Christian Apology (1894)
- A. B. Bruce – Apologetics, or Christianity
Defensively Stated (1892)
- W. Devivier – Christian Apologetics (1903)
- A. Harnack – What is Christianity? (1902)
- The Boyle Lectures
- F. R. Beattie – Fundamental Apologetics (1903)
- James Orr – A Christian View of God and the World
(1893) | Resurrection of Jesus
(1905) | Problem of the Old Testament (1906)
- J. Gresham Machen – Christianity & Liberalism
(1923) | The Virgin Birth of Christ
(1930) | The Fundamentals (1909-1915)
- E. Y. Mullins – Why is Christianity
True? | The Axioms of Religion (1905) | The
Christian Religion in Its Doctrinal Expression (1908)
- Burnett Hillman Streeter (1874–1937) – Reality
- Recent works on apologetics (1940 to Present)
- E. J. Carnell – Introduction to Christian
Apologetics | Philosophy of the Christian
Religion | Christian Commitment | Case for
- Gordon Clark – Christian View of Men and Things | Karl Barth's Theological Method | Historiography | The Philosophy of Science and Belief in
God | Thales to Dewey | Religion, Reason, and Revelation
- Bernard Ramm – The Pattern of Religious
Authority | Protestant Christian
Evidences | Special Revelation and the Word of
God | The God Who Makes a Difference (later
retitled, A Christian Appeal to Reason) | Types of
Apologetic Systems | A Christian View of Science and
Scriptures | Varieties of Christian Apologetics
- Cornelius Van Til – Complete Works on CD | Christian Apologetics | Christian
Theistic Evidences | The Defense of the Faith | The New
Evangelicalism | Christianity in Conflict | A Christian Theory of Knowledge
- E. R. Geehan – Jerusalem and Athens: Critical Discussions on the
Philosophy and Apologetics of Cornelius Van Til
- C. S. Lewis
- The Screwtape Letters
- The Problem of Pain
- The Great Divorce
- Miracles: a preliminary study
- Mere Christianity
- Surprised by Joy: the Shape of My Early Life
- The World's Last night and Other Essays
- A grief observed
- Letters to Malcolm: chiefly on prayer
- Christian reflections
- God in the Dock: Essays on Theology and Ethics
- Austin Farrer – Finite and Infinite
- E. L. Mascall – He Who Is: A Study in Traditional
Theism | Christian Theology and Natural
Science | The Secularization of Christianity
- Alan Richardson – Christian Apologetics | History:
Sacred and Profane
- F. F. Bruce – The Apologetic Defense of the Gospel | New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable? on-line version | purchase
- Clark Pinnock – Set Forth Your Case | Reason Enough
- Norma Geisler – Christian Apologetics
- Carl F. H. Henry – God, Revelation, and Authority
- Francis Schaeffer
- Complete Works (5 vols)
- Escape from Reason
- The God Who is There
- Death in the City
- He is There and He is not Silent
- The Church at the End of the Twentieth Century
- Pollution and the Death of Man
- True Spirituality
- Genesis in Space and Time
- Back to Freedom and Dignity
- How Should We Then Live?
- A Christian Manifesto
- Josh McDowell
- Evidence That Demands a Verdict
- More than a Carpenter
- Daniel in the Critic's Den
- Answers to Tough Questions Skeptics Ask About the
- More Evidence That Demands a Verdict
- He Walked Among Us: Evidence for the Historical
- New Evidence That Demands a Verdict
- Beyond Belief to Convictions (with Bob
- John Warwick Montgomery
- The Shape of the Past
- Where is History Going?
- Suicide of Christian Theology
- History and Christianity
- How do we know there is a God?
- Christianity for the Tough-Minded, ed. by JWM
- Faith Founded on Fact: Essays in Evidential
- Defending the Gospel Through the Centuries
- Henry Morris – Many Infallible Proofs
- Malcolm Muggeridge (1903-1990) – Intro. | Jesus
Rediscovered | The
Humane Holocaust | Writings
- James Oliver Buswell – Christian Apologetics |
Introduction to Philosophy: A Christian Perspective
(with Paul D. Feinberg) | When Critics Ask: A Popular Handbook on Bible
Difficulties | Inerrancy | When Skeptics Ask (with Ronald
Brooks) | The Battle for the Resurrection
- Gordon Lewis – Testing Christianity's Truth Claims: Approaches to
- Basil Mitchell – The Justification of Religious
Belief | The Philosophy of Religion | How to Play Theological Ping Pong and Other Essays
on Faith and Reason | Faith and Criticism: The Barum
Lectures | Law, Morality, and Religion in a Secular Society
- R. C. Sproul
- Chosen by God
- Choosing My Religion
- Surprised by Suffering
- When Worlds Collide: Where is God?
- Not a Chance: The Myth of Chance in Modern Science
- Defending Your Faith: An Introduction to
- Essential Truths of the Christian Faith
- Tearing Down Strongholds: And Defending the
- Reason to believe
- Classical apologetics : a rational defense of the
Christian faith and a critique of presuppositional apologetics
(co-authored with John Gerstner and Arthur Lindsley)
- C. Stephen Evans – Why Believe? Reason and Mystery as Pointers to
God | The Quest for Faith
- Mouw, Richard – Distorted Truth: What Every Christian Needs to Know
About the Battle for the Mind
- John Newport – – Life's Ultimate Questions
- Kelly James Clark – Return to Reason
- Alister McGrath
- Intellectuals Don't Need God and Other Modern
- The foundations of dialogue in science and
- Glimpsing the face of God : the search for meaning
in the universe
- The Unknown God: Searching for Spiritual
- Why Does God Allow Suffering?
- The re-enchantment of nature: science, religion
and the human sense of wonder
- The re-enchantment of nature: The Denial of
Religion and the Ecological Crisis
- A Scientific Theology: 1. Nature
- A Scientific Theology: 2. Reality
- A Scientific Theology: 3. Theory
- Science and Religion: An Introduction
- Lee Strobel – The Case for Faith: A Journalist Investigates the
Toughest Objections to Christianity | The Case for Christ: A Journalist's Personal
Investigation of the Evidence for Jesus | Inside the Mind of Unchurched Harry and Mary (with
- Phillip Johnson
- Darwin on Trial
- Reason in the Balance: The Case Against Naturalism
in Science, Law & Education
- Defeating Darwinism by Opening Minds
- The Wedge of Truth: Splitting the Foundations of
- The Right Questions: Truth, Meaning & Public
Debate (with Nancy Pearcey)
- Doubts About Darwin: A History of Intelligent
Design (with Thomas Woodward)
- Objections Sustained: Subversive Essays on
Evolution, Law & Culture
- The Face That Demonstrates The Farce Of Evolution
(with Hank H. Hanegraaff)
- Darwinism Defeated? (debate with Denis O.
Lamoureux, ed. by J. I. Packer) [TOP]
[Depths Index] [The
on to Study Links]
© 2003 Steve Singleton, All